Re: Request for clarification of the case where 'the image isn't discussed by the surrounding text, but it has some relevance'

> That isn't the goal here. The image is merely a decorative image that
> happens to be relevant in the context of the poem.

The image is not mere decoration if it has relevance to the poem,
therefore it should be identified and a text alternative provided.

> Please use the HTML doctype to do your tests. You will find the results,
> at least for Firefox, differ. I also recommend testing with Lynx or
> another text browser.

did that, if firefox and it displays without any indication. I have
previously tested with lynx.

It makes no difference in IE., Opera or JAWS and Window eyes.

--stevef
2008/8/25 Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Steven Faulkner wrote:
>>
>> Advice on how to mark up such images is given in WCAG 2.0:
>>
>> "Sometimes content is primarily intended to create a specific sensory
>> experience [...]
>
> That isn't the goal here. The image is merely a decorative image that
> happens to be relevant in the context of the poem.
>

>> >The above has two problems; first it makes the page harder to understand for uses navigating the page without images,
>>
>> lets have a look at 3 examples then, to see if your opinion is born out:
>>
>> 1. example with image displayed
>> http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/shalott1.html
>> 2. example without image displayed (with alt text)
>> http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/shalott2.html
>> 3. example without image displayed (without alt text)
>> http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/shalott3.html
>
> Please use the HTML doctype to do your tests. You will find the results,
> at least for Firefox, differ. I also recommend testing with Lynx or
> another text browser.
>
> --

with regards

Steve Faulkner