Lose Focus When Hidden? (SVG ISSUE-2031)

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:32:52 +0200
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>

We have an issue with SVG that we think applies to HTML UAs as well, and
we'd like to align.

When an element (such as a form field) has focus, and is removed from
the DOM or hidden with e.g. display:none, what should happen with the focus?

* Should the element lose focus?
* If it does lose focus, should it throw a blur/focusout event?
* If it does lose focus, where should the document focus go?
* If it doesn't lose focus, should it still receive e.g. keyboard events
when it is in that removed/hidden state?
* If the element is replaced in the DOM, should it regain focus?
* If the element is unhidden, should it regain focus?
* If it does regain/keep focus, should it subsequently begin/keep
receiving events?

We have a simple test case that seems to indicate that HTML UAs vary on

Some seem to lose focus, or partially lose focus (retain focus, but
can't receive keyboard events), or lose focus completely.

We think that the element should lose focus, through a blur/focusout
event, that the focus should go to the document root, and that the
element should not regain focus upon becoming available again.

-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, WebApps, SVG, and CDF