Lose Focus When Hidden? (SVG ISSUE-2031)

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:32:52 +0200
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>

Hi, HTWL WG-

We have an issue with SVG that we think applies to HTML UAs as well, and
we'd like to align.

When an element (such as a form field) has focus, and is removed from
the DOM or hidden with e.g. display:none, what should happen with the focus?

* Should the element lose focus?
* If it does lose focus, should it throw a blur/focusout event?
* If it does lose focus, where should the document focus go?
* If it doesn't lose focus, should it still receive e.g. keyboard events
when it is in that removed/hidden state?
* If the element is replaced in the DOM, should it regain focus?
* If the element is unhidden, should it regain focus?
* If it does regain/keep focus, should it subsequently begin/keep
receiving events?

We have a simple test case that seems to indicate that HTML UAs vary on
this:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008JulSep/0171.html

Some seem to lose focus, or partially lose focus (retain focus, but
can't receive keyboard events), or lose focus completely.

We think that the element should lose focus, through a blur/focusout
event, that the focus should go to the document root, and that the
element should not regain focus upon becoming available again.

Thoughts?

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, WebApps, SVG, and CDF