Re: Flickr and alt

Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>> And yet we do not require knowing how to read in order to read (e.g.
>> voice synthesizers).  Why the double-standard?
>
> Boris, do you not perceive any difference between
> /knowing/ how to read and /being physically capable/
> of reading (where "reading" is defined as mentally
> assigning sounds and semantics to a visually-perceived
> string of characters) ?

Yes, of course.  There are plenty of people who can do the latter but
not the former.  There are also people who can assign sounds but not
semantics to visually-perceived strings of characters, or whose ability
to assign semantics is severely limited.  There are also people who can
assign semantics but not sounds.  There are also people who can do
neither with a visually-perceived string of characters but can assign
semantics to sounds, or sounds+semantics to tactile input, or just
semantics to tactile input.

Was there a point to this question, if I might ask?

-Boris