Re: Flickr and alt

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:37:07 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: public-html@w3.org, David Poehlman <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

 > Interesting.  That had not occurred to me, since in fact they are quite aurally distinguishable in all the pronunciations I've heard.  If there are others of which I was not aware, I apologize.

In <Br.E>, the difference is restricted to a single
phoneme, "s" v. "z" in "pre-z-ident" v. "pre-s-edent".
I do not know if this is also the case in <Am.E>, but
if I were dependent on a speech synthesiser I am not
certain I would hear the difference between the two,
particularly if I were /expecting/ to hear "precedent".

** Phil.