Re: Flickr and alt

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 16:12:18 +0100
CC: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

 > I assume you mean "precedent".

That is a rather rude observation, Boris : if (as I believe)
David is unable to see what he types, his speech synthesiser
may well render "president" as aurally indistinguishable
from "precedent".

 > [A]ll authors [1] must be forced (whether by civil laws or by authoring specifications) to produce only content that is accessible to all users [2].

No, not "forced".  "Required", "expected", whatever.
The specification must be expressed in terms of
accessible content : if a user (author) elects to
ignore the specification, and produce inaccessible
material, then no-one is planning to "force" that
user to do otherwise, unless he/she is producing
material that is covered by national or international
accessibility legislation.

Philip TAYLOR