Re: some reflections on @alt usage (and summary of research so far)

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:56:55 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:

 > Speaking with my Google hat on for just this paragraph, I can assure you
 > that with Picasa Web Albums, if we offered our users the opportunity to
 > specify alternative text, most wouldn't use it, if we required them to
 > provide it, most would provide bogus text, and if we forced them to
 > provide useful alternative text, they would all find one of our
 > competitors' sites and give up on Picasa altogether. (Google hat off.)

Speaking with my Picasaweb user's hat on,
can you please substantiate this statement
with /evidence/, not hypothesis and personal
(or corporate) opinion ?  I can state with
100% certainty that I not only /want/ to
add ALT text, I /need/ to be able to, in
order that others (not necessarily sighted)
can have equal access to my portfolios.

 > In practice, photo sharing sites will never have alternative text
 > available for the vast majorty of their images. Pretending otherwise is
 > neither realistic nor productive.

Awaiting substantiation.

[remainder snipped]

Philip TAYLOR