Re: Mandatory and Important

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:45:30 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Laura Carlson wrote:
>> Use the tools/services and let them be nonconforming.
>
> It makes no sense for the specification to advise someone to not conform
> to the specification.

Nowhere did I read Laura proposing that the
/specification/ make this recommendation; as
I read it (past tense), Laura was making
this recommendation directly to Karl, in
response to his query.  Karl was asking about
private usage, so Laura's advice is analogous
to a qualified police pursuit driver advising
a a non-police driver on techniques that he may
legally use only on private property : once that
driver is on the public highway, he will need
to obey the law of the land.

Philip TAYLOR