Re: meta content-language

From: Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:06:40 +0300
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Hi Martin,

On Aug 22, 2008, at 5:16 AM, Martin Duerst wrote:

> The original idea of the http-equiv meta data was to provide data
> to the server to put into the HTTP headers. So even if everything
> went according to plan, it wouldn't be surprising, because
> Richard is testing the browser side.
>
> It turned out that parsing the file itself on the server side
> was too slow when you just want to throw out pages, so this
> never caught on. [except for the cases that Roy mentions]

I would take only a slight issue with your comment, that is an
important one. Parsing the file itself on the server side did not
catch on for some time, but with recent developments that is starting
to change. Technologies such as Apple's Spotlight metadata
architecture solve the problem of 'too slow' by indexing files in
advance and reindexing upon any modification. The same approach is
being applied to HTTP in CalDAV solutions. It is very likely that this
approach will spread to traditional/basic HTTP services too. So I
think it is even more important now that we don't decouple the meta
http-equiv pragmas from their http equivalents by redefining what
those http-equiv pragmas mean in HTML5.

Take care,
Rob