Re: meta content-language

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:38:38 +0900
To: Andrew Cunningham <andrewc@vicnet.net.au>
CC: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, 'Ian Hickson' <ian@hixie.ch>, 'HTML WG' <public-html@w3.org>, www-international@w3.org, Erik van der Poel <erikv@google.com>

Andrew Cunningham wrote:
> On Fri, August 22, 2008 2:50 pm, Felix Sasaki wrote:
>

>>> Good question. But most typical metadata (author, title, summary,...)
>>> isn't really actionable either.
>>>

>> There are organizations, e.g. digital libraries, who care a lot about
>> the creation of metadata in HTML, including author, title etc., and who
>> make it actionable for e.g. their search facilities. Compared to the
>> whole web this is a minority for sure, but I think such use cases should
>> be taken into account as well, since they could help moving the "chicken
>> and egg" problem of metadata content and metadata processing tools
>> moving forward.
>>

> although Digital Libraries, DOMS, federated search, etc all use metdata
> extensively, they use much more thorough and exacting metadata standards.
>
> DC, OAI, OLAC, METS, MODS, and all sorts of other standards.
>
> Likewise, many government metadata standards are more comprehensive.
>
> So I doubt there would be much practical application of metadata vis-a-vis
> HTML5 except in terms of other metadata standards being embedded in HTML5.

Agree, I was thinking of esp. the scenario of embedded meta data. I
think Henry did not separate in his question about "actionable
metadata"  whether it is embedded or not.

Felix