RE: Flickr and alt

The techno-geek in me loves this idea. The pragmatist in me says that it makes things too complicated for the typical HTML author. :(

Unless, of course, we assign a default @role for @role="" and a missing @role, and the default @role has @alt rules of "@alt must be present (even with a value of empty string), see WCAG for information on how to use it." That would take the entire thrust of Karl's proposal and merge it with this excellent idea presented here. The large majority of HTML authors who are savvy enough to use @role will also be able to follow along with the idea that @role can affect @alt requirements.

J.Ja