Re: Flickr and alt

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:57:45 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org

David Poehlman writes:

> Right, either you are compliant with a spec or you are not.

True.  And if there are multiple specs, you can be compliant with one
but not another.

For example, it's possible to be compliant with HTML 4 but not WCAG 2.

That will still be the case with HTML 5 (regardless of what HTML 5 says
about alt text, because there will still be other things authors can do
which breach WCAG 2 while still complying with HTML 5).

> Ths is not to say you can't choose to be non compliant, but we cannot
> provide for exceptions in the spec because those who don't want to be
> compliant but want to claim compliance will work hard to fit
> themselves into the exceptions.

Why not?

Smylers