Re: alt attribute - a very simple proposal

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 06:56:23 -0500
To: "Karl Dubost" <karl@w3.org>
Cc: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, "Al Gilman" <alfred.s.gilman@ieee.org>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, wai-liaison@w3.org, "Gez Lemon" <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, "Joshue O Connor" <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, "Steve Faulkner" <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, "Jason White" <jason@jasonjgw.net>

Hi Karl,

> I have followed the discussion around this for a very long time.

Me too.

Thorough details and history from September 2007 to date

ISSUE 31 missing-alt

ACTION-54 draft text for the spec. A group of us have worked this:

ACTION 54: First Draft

Discussion Page for HTML WG Action 54 First Draft

ACTION 54: Start of second draft

Request for PF Review (March 2008)

Second Request for PF review (April 2008)

Third Request for PF review (August 2008)

> interesting use cases are described but I fear the list could go and go on.

I agree.

> 1. I would just keep alt attribute requirements to the functional
> requirements, such as if images are not loaded the content of the alt
> attribute must be displayed.
> 2. The specific requirements on accessibility such as  the content of the
> alt attribute depending on the use cases should be entirely left to WCAG.

Do you mean something like in the second draft of the image section rewrite?

> The specification would then be lighter, could have a pointer saying all the
> requirements for accessibility are defined in wcag 2.0.

> For the class of products of
>   * search engines, functional requirement: indexing the text content.
>   * conformance checker: it is highly encouraged that conformance checker
> developers implement the  WCAG requirements on alt attribute.
>   * authoring tools, functional requirement: provide a way to edit the alt
> attribute.

Best Regards,
Laura L. Carlson