Re: Flickr and alt

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:56:49 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org

Eric Eggert writes:

> What confuses me about that whole alternative text on flickr issue is
> that flickr is an edge case, not a typical use case for alternative
> text.

Sort-of.  It is, however, quite a popular and well-known site now (and
there are many other sites displaying photo albums).

So it would seem bizarre for the HTML spec to be silent on what to do
with it (given that it isn't clear otherwise); it should either explain
how such content should be marked up, or make it clear that marking up
such content isn't supported in HTML 5 and there's nothing such a site
can do to be compliant.

Smylers