Re: Dealing with conflict in lang and xml:lang

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:04:40 +0200, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> wrote:
> It seems to me that requiring sameness between lang and xml:lang
> attributes
> leads to:
>
> a. difficulty in establishing what sameness means with things like
> lang="fr"
> xml:lang="fr-FR" (which actually mean the same) [Note that in the future
> there may be a requirement to see things like en-GB and en-Latin-GB as
> the
> same by BCP 47 matching rules]

For the purposes of conformance you can just require them to be identical,
no?

> b. the question of what to do if they are not equal

That's not a conformance question and is already pretty clear from the
specification. "xml:lang" in the null namespace (not "lang" in the XML
namespace) is just ignored.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>