Re: Flickr and alt

From: Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:06:18 +0100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Flickr is one of many public sites featuring user-generated content that
> is mostly shared with friends and family, but which is mostly visible to
> the general public. In terms of our moral sensibilities about
> accessibility, it is more like a public bulletin board where anyone can
> put up a poster, than like the professional signage in a store or school.

I do not use Flickr, but I do use Picasaweb, which I believe
is analogous.  On Picasaweb, albums can be public or private.
Would those who seek to differentiate between public and
private facilities in terms of accessibility therefore
accept that a /public/ album is /public/, and must therefore
meet all legal accessibility requirements ?

Philip TAYLOR