alt attribute - a very simple proposal

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:45:54 +0900
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Hi Ian,

I have followed the discussion around this for a very long time. I'm
not sure the solution is inside the specification. The [HTML 5 Working
Draft, June 2008 ][1] is describing at length the [alt attribute][2].
Many interesting use cases are described but I fear the list could go
and go on.

1. I would just keep alt attribute requirements to the functional
requirements, such as if images are not loaded the content of the alt
attribute must be displayed.
2. The specific requirements on accessibility such as  the content of
the alt attribute depending on the use cases should be entirely left
to WCAG.

The specification would then be lighter, could have a pointer saying
all the requirements for accessibility are defined in wcag 2.0.

For the class of products of
    * search engines, functional requirement: indexing the text content.
    * conformance checker: it is highly encouraged that conformance
checker developers implement the  WCAG requirements on alt attribute.
    * authoring tools, functional requirement: provide a way to edit
the alt attribute.

[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-html5-20080610/
[2]: http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-html5-20080610/embedded0.html#alt

--