Fwd: Flickr and alt

From: Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:15:49 +0100
To: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
I don't know if anyone on the list remembers this Michael Arrington post: 1.2
million Flickr Photos Geotagged in 24
Hours<http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/08/29/12-million-flickr-photos-geotagged-in-24-hours/>.
It strikes me that if Flickr can make geotagging easy enough for that many
photos to be tagged that quickly, it can probably do more to get its users
adding alt text routinely.

I think requiring alt is good practice, and omitting it is poor practice.
While most CMSes and authoring tools will allow users to omit alt, they
ought to alert the user that this is against spec, and perhaps ought to link
to a document that explains why alt is generally required.

Sam