Re: Flickr and alt

From: Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:42:31 +0100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>, James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Not smoking or smoking outside is a requirement that is easily met.

> Adding useful alternate text to the ~300 images you upload a couple of
> times a year is not. (The requirement not being easily met was the core
> point of my argument, but you forgot to quote it.)

Neither requirement is "easily met"; requirements that
are easily met rarely require legislation.  In both cases,
it is accepted that there is an additional burden, but
most feel that it is not unreasonable to impose that burden
if the end result will make life better for others.

If you personally do not agree, then of course you are
at liberty to say so, but those of us that care about
making the web a more accessible place will continue
to press for requirements such as mandatory ALT.

Philip TAYLOR