Another HTML5 alt conformance question for clarification

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 15:11:54 -0500
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "Steven Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>

Hi Ian,

Steve wrote [1]:

> it would be
> very useful to get a ruling from the editor on how he intends the spec
> to be interpreted in such 'real world' cases.

I have a question for editor clarification too. The current language
in the editor's draft [2]  does not explicitly state that alt is
required. For authoring requirements it states:

"The src attribute must be present...The requirements for the alt
attribute depend on what the image is intended to represent..."

It does not state:
"The alt attribute must be present..."

In the editor's draft is the alt attribute required to be conforming?
Must it be present?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Laura