Re: document.title (detailed review of the DOM)

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Simon Pieters wrote:

> (This is part of my detailed review of the Document Object Model
> section.)
>
> I tested document.title for a bit (also did some testing in the live DOM
> viewer without recording it...):
>
>    http://simon.html5.org/test/html/dom/interfaces/HTMLDocument/title/
>
> This is how it works AFAICT: [...]
>
> All are quite different from each other and quite different from the spec too.

Yeah, when I realised there was no interop here I figured I might as well
spec something more sensible. Is there anything specifically about the
current definition which you think is bad and should be lined up more to
match one or other of the browsers?

> After that, the spec says:
>
>    The title attribute on the HTMLDocument interface should shadow the
>    attribute of the same name on the SVGDocument interface when the user
>    agent supports both HTML and SVG.
>
> Don't the getting and setting algorithms already cover that?

No, the setters assume it but don't require it. We have to require it
separately otherwise the SVG attributes could shadow HTML's, and then it
doesn't matter what HTML's attribute does as it would be ignored.