Re: Deprecated language tags and document conformance

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:20:52 +0000 (UTC)
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> I'd expect deprecated RFC 4646 language tags or subtags to render a
> document non-conforming for the purpose of overall HTML5 document
> conformance. Is my expectation correct?
>
> On a related note, the grandfathered language tag i-default seems
> inappropriate for HTML5 lang or XHTML5 xml:lang, since these attributes
> can take the non-RFC4646 value "" to indicate that the natural language
> is unknown. Should lang='i-default' (or xml:lang='i-default') be taken
> to render the document non-conforming?

My intent is to defer to the relevant standards and let them decide what's
valid or not. I don't think we should micromanage this, since it changes
so much. (Right now HTML5 refers to RFC3066, but I'll update the reference
appropriately to the moving-target reference rather than a specific RFC
before we're done.)