Re: Images and alternative text

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:00:24 -0700
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

There seems to be at least some assumption here that if I put Latex
into the alt text, UAs could reliably recognize it as such.  On what
warrant?  alt text is, well, text, isn't it?

I think the real need to have accessible alt text, or if it's not
available, a damn good *expressed* reason for its lack (in suitable
brackets such as {}), really trumps a wish to put syntactically
formatted text in other un-identified languages into the alt tag.

Yes, if you want to put Latex in there (or any other text), you'll
need to put something before an initial {;  perhaps something that
helps you diagnose that it is, in fact, latex source, and not really
alt text at all.  Perhaps, even
alt="{latex} {x \over y} = {1 \over {y \over x}}"
?

though latex is not one of the suggested keywords...
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime