Re: Images and alternative text

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:58:32 -0400
To: Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Justin James wrote:
> Alternatively, we could get our "MathML in HTML" spec nailed down, tell HTML
> authors to use that and not graphic for math, and officially throw the
> problem over the fence to UAs at that point. ;)

Won't necessarily completely solve the problem, because some things are
not so easily translatable from TeX to MathML.  Here's an example that I
used a lot back in my undergrad days and have never seen a TeX-to-MathML
converter get "right":

\def\braket#1#2{\left\langle#1\vphantom{#2}\,\right|\left.#2\vphantom{#1}\right\rangle}

And then use \braket.

I would hope this is expressible in MathML but a brief look doesn't tell
me how, and the automatic converters are certainly not handling it last
I checked.

-Boris