Re: GRDDL

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com> wrote:
> (Having a way to make GRDDL work for HTML as well as XHTML would be nice.
> Given that in practice it could be done by passing the HTML through some
> well-known transform like an HTML5 parser that serialised to XHTML, I don't
> see that as a showstopper in practice. Also, most people who want to use RDF
> actually already know how to produce real XHTML if they need it, so that is
> a somewhat theoretical as opposed to real problem).

A number of existing GRDDL implementations already support HTML 4
content, including Triplr.org, using the HTML Tidy library. I'm pretty
sure that if GRDDL still works in HTML 5 (and, really, as I've said
before, the Working Group is not deciding between whether or not to
prevent authors from applying GRDDL profiles to their documents, they
are deciding whether or not to preserve the existing mechanism for
doing this - head/@profile - or making GRDDL user agents sniff HTML 5
in a different way than they already do with HTML 4 and XHTML 1.x
content) and html5lib or a similar HTML 5->X(HT)ML transformer exists
and is practically implementable, most GRDDL implementations will
probably add it quite quickly.

--
Tom Morris
http://tommorris.org/