Re: Extensibility strategies, was: Deciding in public (Was: SVGWG SVG-in-HTML proposal)

Justin James wrote:
>>> * How do you handle someone importing a CSS stylesheet from a URI
>> that they
>>> do *not* "have authority over*, such as is the case when using a
>> public
>>> widget library?
>> How is that a problem?
>
> I might be confused here, so I'll give you an example of what I am thinking
> of.
>
> A page at abc.com has a link to a stylesheet at xyz.net. Let's say that the
> stylesheet at xyz.net contains the follow class definitions:
>
> * http://www.xyz.net/datetime
> * http://www.abc.com/price
> * http://www.yahoo.com/classes/WidgetLibraryContainer //For use in wrapping
> around a Yahoo! widget
>
> So where are the violations of this principle? Is the stylesheet allowed to
> contain classes for "abc.com" only when it is used in HTML at abc.com? Is it

Yes. The same way an XSLT stylesheet served from greenbytes.de can use
names in XHTML and XSLT namespaces (served from w3.org).

> an error for a document at abc.com to use one of the xyz.net classes? Are
> both the document and the stylesheet wrong by using the reference to
> yahoo.com?

No.

How did you get that impression?

To *mint* new names, you should have authority over the URIs you use (by
owning, by consensus, by delegation whatever). To *use* them, you don't.

After all, the whole point is that new names can be minted which would
have the same meaning to both producers and consumers.

> Like a lot of my questions, BTW, this is meant to get clarity. I don't think
> that I have a really clear understanding of what we are talking about (I
> suspect we may be talking past each other).
>
> Thanks for your patience!

BR, Julian