Re: question about the draft:

Yes! as long as they are * and not graphical <g>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
To: "Brian Smith" <brian@briansmith.org>
Cc: "'David Poehlman'" <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>;
<public-html@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 1:59 AM
Subject: RE: question about the draft:

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Brian Smith wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > Yeah right now the visual-media style sheet just makes the
> > issues red with a red border around them.
>
> That doesn't work well for color-blind people either. The red border
> will look very similar to the black borders and rules used elsewhere in
> the document.

There's nothing else in the document that uses a single border like the
issue markers. Also, the issue markers now have little asterisks to
indicate them. So I don't think there's a problem here, even for people
who are totally colour blind (or using a black-and-white printer).

> > I can have a script or something insert asterisks before each issue if
> > that would help, and then have the style sheet hide them for
> > CSS-enabled users. Would that work? Or would making the asterisks
> > disappear from the screen rendering affect the speech output?
> >
> > I wish screen readers supported "@media speech" and CSS.
>
> How about prefixing them these notes with a white-on-red "TODO:" (using
> something like display: run-in)? I think that would solve the
> accessibility issues pretty easily, and it would even clarify things for
> people without vision issues.

It's pretty obvious in context what these issues are. The only problem is
determining where they start and end. The asterisks should be an
acceptable solution for this, no?