RE: Extensibility strategies, was: Deciding in public (Was: SVGWG SVG-in-HTML proposal)

From: Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 00:23:04 -0400
To: "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>, "'Julian Reschke'" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>

I think what you've just put here really sums up my rationale of the need
for an external meta-data system, like CSS but for semantics +
accessibility. I've been slowly working on a proposal for this, let it
suffice to say that being able to add semantics (like ARIA-role) to a class
definition is achingly needed at this point, especially for these AJAX-y and
"Web 2.0" sites that use <div> and <span> with lots of styling/JavaScript to
replace the standard widget set. I would love to be able to give those
developers the ability to provide information like, "this image that changes
the value of @src when it is clicked is actually performing the same this as
a checkbox" and have the JavaScript then toggle the .checked of that item.

J.Ja