Re: Extensibility strategies, was: Deciding in public (Was: SVGWG SVG-in-HTML proposal)

Julian Reschke wrote on 08/04/2008 04:19:42 PM:

> Sam Ruby wrote:
> > Ian Hickson wrote on 08/02/2008 03:45:19 PM:
> >  >
> >  > The syntax for a self-closing element is for the element to be
> > immediately
> >  > followed by a close tag, for example, what in proprietary XML might
be
> >  > written as:
> >  >
> >  >    <foo xmlns="http://example.com/" />
> >  >
> >  > ...can be written in HTML5 as:
> >  >
> >  >    <div class="com.example.foo"></div>
> >
> > Other than the fact that I would suggest span over div, this approach
> > does meet the requirements I laid out.
> >
> > It doesn't have the benefit of field experience (in the devil you know
> > vs the devil you don't know), but it would seem to work.
>
> As a matter of fact, it does not work, as it wouldn't be able to both
> represent and disambiguate all namespace names that may occur in XHTML.

To be fair, while that clearly would have been a nice to have, that was not
one of my stated requirements.  In fact, I would have been willing to trade
off some aspects of that requirement against a solution with greater
usability.

But Ian found another loophole.  A much bigger one.  I hadn't said that
usability was a requirement.

> > Of course, the usuability of such an approach sucks, which I gather is
> > the point of the proposal.
>
> Right.
>
> BR, Julian

- Sam Ruby