Re: Extensibility strategies, was: Deciding in public (Was: SVGWG SVG-in-HTML proposal)

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 15:18:59 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, public-html-request@w3.org
Ian Hickson wrote on 08/02/2008 03:45:19 PM:

> The syntax for a self-closing element is for the element to be
immediately
> followed by a close tag, for example, what in proprietary XML might be
> written as:
>
>    <foo xmlns="http://example.com/" />
>
> ...can be written in HTML5 as:

Other than the fact that I would suggest span over div, this approach does
meet the requirements I laid out.

It doesn't have the benefit of field experience (in the devil you know vs
the devil you don't know), but it would seem to work.

Of course, the usuability of such an approach sucks, which I gather is the
point of the proposal.

- Sam Ruby