Re: Translation control in HTML5

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:45:24 +0900
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Chris Wendt <Chris.Wendt@microsoft.com>
To: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>

Le 3 août 2008 à 22:25, James Graham a écrit :
> I'm curious to know if these automatic translation services have
> tried the obvious candidate elements for non-translation already
> <samp>, and anything with an (xml:)lang attribute not matching the
> user-selected language to translate from)?

I don't know any W3C Note or W3C Specs recommending implementation
strategies for automatic translations. I think it would be very
useful. Maybe that should be done in coordination with
internationalization group AND [implementers of translation][1]
services such as

* Japanese-English by Excite Powered by Accela BizLingo [2]
* Yahoo! Babelfish  Powered by Systran
* Windows Live Translator
* Google Translate

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Machine_translation_applications
[2]: Another interesting case where Accela BizLingo is not mentionned
in the reference [1]
  because being Japanese?

PS: for fun, And issues with translation, 恵比寿 (Ebisu) is the name
of a place in Tokyo. It happened to be also a god in Japanese
tradition. An automatic translator gave me as an answer:

	Head office address
	Tokyo Shibuya Ku the god of wealth

When the correct automatic translation would have been

	Head office address
	Tokyo, Shibuya district, Ebisu

It is not specifically a translate="no". :)

Karl Dubost - W3C
Be Strict To Be Cool