Re: Extensibility strategies, was: Deciding in public (Was: SVGWG SVG-in-HTML proposal)

Justin James wrote:
>>> If you wanted to disambiguate your "price" from other people's, you
>> could
>>> use a URI instead:

>> class="http://ns.intertwingly.net/price">$7.99</span>.</p>
>>  > ...
>>
>> Hey, that's an interesting proposal. I haven't seen that before.
>
> Would using an URI trigger any other behavior, like downloading something from that URI and taking action upon it? Not saying it *should*, just curious if the proposal does that or not.

Good point. If we had spec text that talks about URIs as class names
then we should point out that user agents should not dereference them
automatically (just like in XMLNS, RDF, ...).

>> Anyway: if this is a serious suggestion, we should discuss adding
>> advice
>> to HTML5 telling people that if they choose a URI as class name, they
>> need to be sure that they have the authority to use it.
>
> Depends on the wording, what if I want to use a 3rd party item (like the external JavaScript libraries calling third-party controls)?

Could you elaborate on that? Are you wondering whether a syntax like
this could be used to automatically download associated scripts? (to
which my answer would be: hopefully not :-)

BR, Julian