Opera, VoiceOver and alt (was: One more thought...)

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:29:37 +0800
To: "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "David Poehlman" <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>
Cc: "Steven Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org, "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, wai-liaison@w3.org

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:50:54 +0800, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2008, at 14:27, David Poehlman wrote:
>
>> is this vo or a behaviour of webkit?
>

> Seems to be more WebKit than VO.
>
> Opera behaves differently. Opera doesn't make a difference between
> missing alt and empty alt. Both are removed from non-visual presentation.
>
> As far as I can tell, Opera doesn't behave consistently when I try to
> test linked images. I don't know why. Sometimes it allows a link image
> without alt to be focused, other times not.
>
> It doesn't seem to read the file name in any case.

In testing recent Opera builds with VoiceOver I noticed alt handling has
gone a bit skewy. If you want to file bugs on this at
http://bugs.opera.com please try to provide specific details of the URI at
which it happens, what the behaviour is and what you expected for each
image - that helps us localise the problem rather than just collect
another duplicate report that "something is a bit odd".

cheers

Chaals