Re: Browser defaults should please the mass of authors

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:26:54 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:
> This isn't what the spec is suggesting. The text I added to the spec which
> is what Henri is referring to would, if implemented, block _all_ new
> author-requested windows, including those from window.open().

I should note that while Gecko has a preference that allows this, actually
_using_ it breaks a number of sites, including a number of reasonably legitimate
use cases.  There's no way it can become the default setting given the state of
the web, in my opinion.

So I'm not sure what the point is of "encouraging" UAs to do something that they
just can't do while staying reasonably compatible with the web.

-Boris