Re: Another summary of alt="" issues and why the spec says what it says

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:47:12 +0100
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>, david.dailey@sru.edu, John Foliot <foliot@wats.ca>, HTML4All <list@html4all.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org, Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>

Steven Faulkner wrote:
>> I agree it wouldn't necessarily be obvious to the computer, but it's the
>> >user that matters, and I can't really see why the association wouldn't be
>> >obvious to the user.
>
> becasue being contiguous is a wek relationship and prone to error.

I don't follow. There are plenty of elements and attributes whose
relationship is contiguous or defined in a linear way and they work
fine. This comment suggests that writing code in a way that defines the
relationships in a "non-serial" or more lateral way is somehow better?

Or am I missing something?

I guess you can use of aria-describedby to create programmatic
associations with content that is in order parts of the document or
indeed in other resources/URIs but how is this somehow better?

Cheers

Josh