Re: SVG in text/html

On Apr 15, 2008, at 4:06 AM, Andrew Emmons wrote:

> Hello HTML WG,
>
> While it is encouraging that SVG in text/html is being discussed[1],
> we feel that the proposal tries to change the SVG syntax in a way
> that is incompatible with all implementations to date.  We feel that
> such change is outside of the HTML Working Group's charter and
> request that it be removed from the text/html specification pending
> further research into proposed solutions, in order to avoid
> premature implementation.

As an SVG and HTML implementor, I would find any reasonable choice for
SVG in text/html about equally burdensome. Any approach by necessity
would be "incompatible with all implementations to date", since no
implementation supports SVG in text/html.

> We are happy to make rapid progress on allowing SVG in text/html
> while maximizing compatibility with the wide range of deployed SVG
> authoring tools and renderers.

Authoring tools would presumably also need changes to support any kind
of content in text/html. (If the idea is that authors would manually
extract SVG snippets, I believe the spec also supports the cut & paste
use case, but will not prevent the author from making the SVG content
unusable to XML tools if edited after insertion into text/html
content. To support safety in the latter case, the author would have
to use an HTML5 parser to extract inline SVG from HTML.)

Regards,
Maciej