Re: On HTML5 conformance and conformance checking

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:44:59 +0000 (UTC)
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> So while the web may one day contain many documents that get the HTML5
> conformance checker "stamp of approval" It will actually be littered
> with non conforming HTML5 documents..

This is already the case even with machine-checkable conformance criteria
today. The HTML4 validator on validator.w3.org issues "stamps of approval"
even for pages that are non-conforming for a wide variety of errors, for
example href="" attributes with syntactically invalid URIs.

And even if that was fixed, it wouldn't check that the document uses
elements in a conforming way (e.g. that <table> elements aren't used for
layout, which is invalid in HTML4, or that <h1> elements are used for the
correct outline level, or that table cells don't overlap).

Futhermore, even if we required the alt="" attribute, we would _still_ not
check the conformance of the alt attribute -- there is no way to tell,
from a conformance checker, whether the alt="" value is appropriate or
not.

So this is unrelated to whether alt="" is required in all cases or not.