Re: several messages about New Vocabularies in text/html

From: Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:35:33 +0400
Cc: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On Apr 6, 2008, at 5:10 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> In HTML5, we changed the mappings for &lang; and &rang;. The legacy
> mappings of these two characters are to characters that are defined as
> canonically equivalent to CJK wide characters. The new mappings are:
>
> lang  U+027E8
> rang  U+027E9

   What is the rationale for this? I can understand changing mapping
for &lang; from U+2329 to U+3008, because it's the new code point for
the same character (and that's what we did in WebKit), but changing it
to an entirely different character seems weird, and bad for
compatibility.

   Besides, font support for U+027E8 MATHEMATICAL LEFT ANGLE BRACKET
seems to be rather poor at the moment - on my machine, there is only
one font that has it.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov