Re: [whatwg] Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Thomas Broyer wrote:
> To add to the discussion, here are small tests of IE's "namespace support":
> http://www.ltgt.net/ie-namespace-tests.html
> I've run the tests on IE7 on Vista, IE6 on WinXP SP2 (Virtual PC image
> from Microsoft) and IE8b1 on WinXP SP2 (Virtual PC image from
> Microsoft), the results are exactly the same.

I know this is not the path taken nowadays in the spec but here's
another bunch of tests, for IE8's "default (unprefixed) namespace
support".
http://www.ltgt.net/ie8-namespace-tests.html

 - First, there's a serious bug in parsing self-closing tags declaring
default namespaces: the namespace is not applied, and the outerHTML is
completely broken.
 - As said in the whitepaper, once you switched the default namespace,
you cannot switch to another default namespace (i.e. xmlns attributes
are ignored)
 - However, you can still use prefixed vocabularies (and the namespace
used is the one declared on the <html> start tag; i.e. local xmlns:bar
are ignored)
 - Mismatched tags are still processed as in HTML, even when you
combine prefixed and unprefixed tags.

So, the only difference with what previous IE versions did is, as
stated in the whitepaper, that xmlns= attributes on unrecognized
elements (i.e. elements not in the "whitelist of HTML elements"; even
though I haven't demonstrated this part in the tests) are a trigger
for namespaces (in addition to the previous xmlns:prefix attributes in
the <html> start tag and then matching prefixes). The scope name is
then the tagUrn prefixed with the string "[default] " (note the
apparently broken <?XML:NAMESPACE /> declaration in the outerHTML
value).

--
Thomas Broyer