Re: several messages about New Vocabularies in text/html

Hi, Simon-

Simon Pieters wrote (on 4/2/08 10:38 AM):

> Until I see actual pages that contain non-MathML in <math> or non-SVG in
> <svg>, I'm not convinced that Henri's scoped parsing proposal[1] doesn't
> work. Do you perhaps have such data at hand so I can take a look and be
> convinced? :-)

Since "math" is a real word, I would not at all be surprised by somebody
making a "<math>" element.  "SVG" shows up as an acronym for "St.
Vincent and the Grenadines", but I don't think they have their own
national markup language.

> Also, on a slightly different note, I think that for copy-pastability of
> SVG in text/html, the parser needs to make /> self-close elements, since
> e.g. <circle> can have contents (e.g. animation stuff, I think)

All SVG elements can have such child content, such as <title> and
<desc>, and also namespaced XML, RDF (as referenced before), etc.  It's
a design feature of SVG.

Some elements can also have text content as a child (<text>, <tspan>,
<textPath>, <title>, etc.).

An appropriate parsing model for HTML is not necessarily an appropriate
parsing model for a language not designed with the same constraints or
for the same kinds of use cases and content.  Round peg, square hole.

> and Sam Ruby said that some tools emit <defs/> and <g/>. [2]

Not just tools.  I (and others) deliberately do this as structured
placeholder elements for SVG Webapps, inserting content via script
later.  I could add these too via script, but there is already content
out there that does this.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI