Re: several messages about New Vocabularies in text/html

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 12:22:44 +0100
To: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
CC: public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org

David Carlisle wrote:
>> It depends if you want them to end up in the correct namespace in the DOM or
>> not.
>
> Ah, thank you, that's a reason.
>
> But there must be ways of fixing that without requiring special
> knowledge of all the content mathml elements. (and people may well try
> the OpenMath examples from the mathml spec as well)

Right, possible mechanisms for dealing with general unknown elements are being
discussed on one of the other subthreads of this one. That problem turns out to
be harder to solve than it at first appears because of legacy content that has
to keep working. See [1] for some possible solutions and problems they have.
It's not clear to me that all the problems listed should be regarded as fatal,
so there is some hope that a solution can be found that doesn't require
hardcoding all tag names in the parser.

[1] http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Extensions