Re: Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:04:02 -0700
To: "Neil Soiffer" <Neils@dessci.com>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "Bruce Miller" <bruce.miller@nist.gov>, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@us.ibm.com>, "Robert Miner" <robertm@dessci.com>, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk>, public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:56:36 -0700, Neil Soiffer <Neils@dessci.com> wrote:
> One thing to note in your above example is that you have used two named
> entities.  I believe that these have been ruled out for HTML5.  The lack
> of such named entities will make it much tougher to hand author math (in
> any
> form) in HTML5.  I use both WYSIWYG and smart text editors to create/edit
> MathML, so this is not an issue for me.  However, for those of you who
> insist on hand authoring, you should stop and think about how limiting
> this will be and whether hand authoring is really going to be very
> useful to you.

HTML5 already has a bunch of entities that have been in HTML4 for a long
time. Where was it stated that MathML entities would not be included? I
most certainly expect us to include MathML entities if we're going to add
MathML markup. (How to solve this for the XML serialization is a different
matter, but that seems out of scope for the HTML WG.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>