Re: ARIA Proposal

From: Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 06:08:06 +0200
To: <public-html@w3.org>, <wai-xtech@w3.org>

At 21:50 -0400 UTC, on 2007-09-27, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> [...] so long a |role| hasn't reached critical mass in the
> authoring community, I could care less how it disrupts the W3C. The W3C
> is here to create good specifications, and if they have to start over
> with some of them because a specific technology falls out of favor, so
> be it. Better to break unimplemented specs that to try to fix the ones
> already implemented.

Agreed in principle. However, UA vendors are already calling changes to
completely new features in the current draft "impossible" because it would
break existing content:

>    The |role| attribute is an elegant solution to a problem that doesn't
> exist. There is nothing the it can express that couldn't be expressed
> with elements or simple attributes. It's greatest use case are the ones
> that have been specifically tailored to use |role| instead of other
> solutions that would be greater extensible, easier validation and
> parsing, and more structured markup.

What about the problem Maciej raised in
<http://www.w3.org/mid/B2750F31-8ACF-4B46-8D02-44371AEE4C9F@apple.com>, for
which @role would appear to be a solution? Does that problem not exist?