ARIA Proposal

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:56:15 +0200
To: public-html <public-html@w3.org>, public-xhtml2@w3.org, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>

HTML WG, XHTML2 WG, PFWG,

Not so long ago a proposal was posted to public-html and wai-xtech for a
way to make ARIA work in HTML:

    http://www.w3.org/mid/OF2D24F329.A053FA4B-ON8525735C.00544B50-8525735C.0054A743@us.ibm.com

I have over the past few days with help from Aaron Leventhal and others
written up a draft for how this should work. The goals and constraints we
had when writing the proposal were:

   * It should be possible to use in both (X)HTML and other vocabularies
     without the need for scripting.

   * The processing should be the same for both HTML and XHTML.

   * It should be possible to author new content that works in Firefox 2.

   * The number of different possible ways to use ARIA should be minimized,
     and include only variations that are necessary.

   * The proposal should be directly implementable in Firefox 3 and Opera
     9.5.

The proposal is available at:

    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2007Sep/att-0106/aria-proposal.html

The latest version is available at: