Re: HTML 5 and Distributed Extensibility

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:38:57 +0200, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

>>> What is the purpose of extending HTML 5 with custom elements?
>>  The exact same as extending XHTML with custom elements.
>
> Describing another way to achieve the result doesn't explain what the
> purpose is.  Adding custom elements to XHTML is just something that
> comes for free with XML and namespaces, not necessarily something that
> actually solves any problems that are relevant to (X)HTML.

Are you just generalizing now, or do you think that before going any
further with anything related to extending XHTML and HTML, we should come
to a conclusion of whether there are or aren't any valid use-cases to
extend the languages?

> No, RDFa doesn't actually solve anything.  It's an over-engineered,
> ivory tower spec that was developed in the hope that some "killer app"
> would eventually come along in the future to save it.  That's backwards!
>   Solutions should be developed to solve real problems in existing
> applications, not theoretical problems in hypothetical applications.

I completely agree.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-        asbjorn@ulsberg.no