Re: scripting as fallback (was: Re: New elements vs. Trident)

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:49:43 +0200, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I thnk Maciej wrote

>> I think its less of a problem to ask authors who
>> are  already scripting to fork their scripts for
>> different UAs to make use of HTML5.
>
> The end result of that path is that the non-MSIE scripts aren't
> actually maintained, so that Safari and Opera (and sometimes even
> Firefox) are worse off than before; they can't even do client-side
> fixups.

In which case the obvious approach is to make a script for the one
browser. Which I believe was Maciej's suggestion.

There are some good reasons for offering the script to authors who are
using script (and therefore need the fixup) and let them include it as
needed rather than asking for it to go in every page that goes on the Web,
or even every HTML 5 page that is sent to an old version of IE.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com   http://snapshot.opera.com - Kestrel (9.5α1)