Re: screen-reader versus self-voicing app

From: Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:56:55 +0100
To: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>
CC: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>, lisa@ubaccess.com, unagi69@concentric.net, chaals@opera.com, st@isoc.nl, public-html@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

[long snip]

> i suppose the impasse is similar to that ennunciated by those who ask:
> "why would a blind person want to watch TV?" -- obviously, to participate
> in the wider shared cultural experience with which TV is capable of
> generating...

Is that necessarily the case ?  Might a large number of
blind people not "watch" TV simply to derive pleasure from
so doing ?  I can "watch" the Tour de France with my eyes closed
(I usually do !) or from another room where I am completely
unable to see the screen, but because of the skill of the
commentators (David Duffield, David Harmon, Sean Kelly)
I can follow the action in my head.  OK, I have a head start,
I know what the riders look like, but I don't think that's
in any sense fundamental to my enjoyment : it is far more
about following the action in real time, which is /enhanced/
when I can also see the screen but is very real even when
I can't.

Philip TAYLOR