Re: <video> accessibility

From: Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 08:20:00 -0500
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>

Hi Henri,

On Sep 17, 2007, at 4:36 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> <video> accessibility was discussed on IRC today. Here are some
> issues that I think the spec should address.
>
> The spec already says that the fallback is [] for old browsers. I
> think it should drive the point even more explicitly and say it
> isn't for accessibility alternatives in <video>-aware UAs and that
> accessibility should be handled in the video itself.

While I think there are many opportunities to add accessibility to
formats from other specifications, I think we should focus our
attention on HTML5. I propose we save the accessibility hit jobs for
HTML6 after we've already verified that other technologies can
replace what HTML already offers.

If we could stop this accessibility flame-bait I think the WG could
make a lot more progress much more quickly than we currently are.

Take care,
Rob