Re: Proposal for <figure> graceful degradation

On 9/16/07, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
> 1) I propose using <label> for the element that holds the caption of

That does sound better than <legend> which really does not mean quite
the same thing as caption/label (or the intended purpose of the
element). I don't really care about the implementation issue :)

> 4) Another alternative would be using a new unknown element. Whipping
> out my thesaurus, I see <rubric>, <inscription>. Another possibility
> is something like <figcaption> (to avoid the problems <caption> would
> cause for figures inside tables), but that wouldn't be a good fit for
> <details>.

Check out dublin core: <description> [1] and <title> [2] (already an
element) jump to mind as good candidates for generic elements of this
nature. I would support <description> iff it was generic and could be
used throughout the document to associate any description with its
container element (e.g. figure, fieldset, table, video, etc.)

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/#description
[2] http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/#title