Re: HDP: Revised "Support Existing Content" Principle

Hi Marghanita,

Thanks for the feedback.

On Sep 13, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> I revised the "Support Existing Content" Principle in response to
>> feedback in email, in the survey, and from the last telecon.
>> You can see the results at <http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-design-principles/Overview.html#support-existing-content
>> >.
> <start quote>
> 2.1.1. Examples
>
> Many sites use broken markup, such as badly nested elements
> and both authors and users have expectations based on the error
> handling used by
> legacy user agents. We need to define processing requirements that
> remain
> compatible with the expected handling of such content.
>
> Some sites rely on the <u> element giving the presentational effect
> of an
> underline. "
> <end quote>
>
> I don't think you should use broken markup as an example for
> supporting existing
> content.

Why not? That's exactly the kind of existing content we want to
support, but not necessarily condone.

> more useful examples would be
>
> a) "vspace", "hspace", "align" on "img" or "cellpadding",
> "cellspacing" on "table".

These are good examples, but they are not specified in the draft yet.
I will make a note to add them later.

> b) some authors use the "alt" tag where the "title" tag may be more
> appropriate.

I don't think the draft has anything special to address this, and I'm
not sure how it could. It doesn't say to treat alt as title or anything.

> c)use of quotes  eg src=test.jpg instead of src="test.jpg"

Omitting the quotes in this case is conforming in both HTML 4.01 and
HTML 5, so I don't think this makes a very strong example.

Regards,
Maciej