Re: screen-reader versus self-voicing app (was: Re: Screen-reader behaviour)

From: Marghanita da Cruz <marghanita@ramin.com.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:07:06 +1000
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> It is important to remember that there are a lot of different use cases
> competing in accessibility (there are relatively few people who have
> ever come across deaf-blind computer users and know how they work with
> the web, and I am pretty surprised that even the brightest dyslexic
> people I know manage to follow enough of this group to contribute to
> it). When we get input from deaf users and deafness experts (people who
> know what they are talkiong about and have tested it), it will get even
> more interesting, I suspect...

The focus in the hearing impaired community has been on TV to date.

With regard to the Linux stuff and other multiuser operating systems, the
architecture is quite different - it is multi user and you can have dedicated
special devices connected - in the old days we called them terminals.

I attended  a presentation by a blind speaker about the Accessibility of Linux.
The discussion was whether messages at startup etc were useful. The speaker
pointed out that as with a sighted person, they like to know what their computer
is doing. On this note, the topic of accessibility of authoring tools is
something worth bearing in mind.

Marghanita da Cruz
Phone: (+61)0414 869202